For most of the people, hair is their primal source of consideration when it comes to looks. We are always cautious about our hairstyles, hair colour, and its odor. Due to this common factor among us the hair styling industries has gone larger and larger over the course of time.
Apart from making us look pretty, hairs at some extent, also defines our age. Coloring of hair is a natural process as we grow. But for some people this phase comes very soon. May be in 30s and in some case even in 20s. The hectic lifestyle and improper diet has led us to situation where we are facing premature signs of aging at a large scale.
Remember the first time you show in mirror the single white strand of hair on your head. It must have freaked you out. You probably had pulled it out to remove it. But then you see increment in those white strands very fast enough. And then you get used to it. Well there is no need to get used to it what you don’t like. There are certain remedies that you can try on to reduce the production of white or grey hairs. These remedies work well based upon the cause of discoloring of hair.
Various factors that contribute to change in hair color:
- Genetic Factor: It is the most primal factor that defines at what age you are going to get your hair colour turned to grey / white. If the reason is your DNA then there is not much you can do about it.
- Hormones: Hormones control the pigmentation in your hair. The level of pigmentation decides the colour of your hair.
- Medical Condition: An underlying medical condition can result in decrements of pigmentation in your hair which may result in graying or whitening of hair. Medical issues such as Vitamin B12 deficiency or issues with pituitary and thyroid glands majorly cause the loss of pigmentation from your hair.
- Deficiency of Melanin: Melanin is a pigment that is found under the surface of our skin. Melanin is responsible for the colour completion of our skin. Less amount of melanin present in your skin causes the hair whitening. The level of melanin in your body depends upon various factors like genetics, appropriate nutrition, the amount of sun’s ray you are exposed to in daily life. Certain vitamins and minerals.
- Stress: Today’s hectic lifestyle has given us modern comfort, no doubt. But it has taken the very thing that we need the most, i.e. peace. The amount of stress we bear in our daily lives causes certain chemicals to trigger that increment the rate of aging. Too much stress can cause rapid hair discoloration.
- Cosmetics: Hair cosmetics containing discrete range of chemicals may not be compatible with our skins or hairs. Always prefer natural anti-aging remedies.
Related Post: Natural remedies to control hair fall?
Prevention from Hair Whitening?
Whitening or Graying of can be prevented to vary extent if it is treated in the earlier phase. Also, the factor causing the problem is also decides whether it is reversible or not. For example, if the cause of hair graying is your DNA then there is nothing much we can do about. But if the cause is some other factors like malnutrition, stress, cosmetics, etc. then the damage can be repaired and reversed.
How to Stop Whitening of Hair?
Amla Powder or Oil to Treat White Hair
- 3-4 Dried Amla (Indian Gooseberries).
- 1 cup of coconut oil.
- Boil the amla in coconut oil.
- Take about 2 spoons of this oil solution. And keep the rest solution in a jar for future use.
- Apply the oil solution on your scalp and hair thoroughly for 15 minutes.
- Leave the oil for about 30 minutes. Recommendation is to let it be like this for overnight.
- Rinse it off with mild shampoo and water.
- Repeat the process 3-4 times a week.
Popular Post: Best anti-aging supplements and vitamins
Use Black Tea for Grey/White Hair
Black tea is rich in antioxidants. It enhances the growth of dark and give it extra shine to it.
- 2 tablespoon black tea.
- 1 cup of water
- Put black tea in the cup full of water and boil it till it gets brewed.
- Let it be cool.
- Strain the liquid out of it and massage your scalp with it thoroughly.
- Wash your hair with mild shampoo after 1 hour.
- Repeat it 2-3 times a week.
Popular Post: Top 10 remedies to control hair fall
Curry Leaves for Grey/White hair
- Curry leaves
- 3 tablespoon coconut oil
- Prepare a solution by boiling curry leaves in coconut oil.
- After cooling the solution, use it to massage your scalp and hair for about 15 minutes.
- Let it be like this for about 30 minutes. Recommendation is to leave it for the night.
- Wash it off with mild-shampoo.
- Repeat it 2-3 times a week.
Use Lemon Juice and Coconut Oil to Darken Your Hair
Lemon is a rich source of Vitamin B, C and mineral phosphorus. The is nutrients increase the pigmentation in your cells which gives dark colour to the hair.
- 2 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Heat the mixture of lemon juice and coconut oil to make it slight warm.
- Apply the mixture on your scalp and to the length of your hair.
- Massage for about 15 minutes. And the leave it for 30 minutes.
- Wash if off with mild-shampoo.
- Do it twice a week.
Popular Post: Best anti-aging solution for Men
Castor Oil and Mustard Oil Treatment for White and Grey Hair
Mustard Oil nourishes your hair follicles and prevents your hair from going grey. It is rich source of minerals that are important for colouring of hair. You should know more about anti-aging oils.
- 1 tablespoon Castor Oil
- 2 tablespoon Mustard Oil
- Heat the mixture of both the oils for 2 minutes.
- Massage with the solution while it is slightly warm (not much warm, otherwise it will burn your skin) for 15 minutes.
- Leave it for 30 minutes.
- Then wash it with mild-shampoo and water.
- Do it 2-3 times a week.
Fenugreek Seeds for Grey and White Hair
Fenugreek is the excellent source of iron, potassium, lysine, and vitamin C. These vital nutrients encourage hair growth and stop them from being white or grey.
- 2 tablespoon fenugreek seeds
- ¼ cup of water
- Put fenugreek seeds in water and let it be soaked overnight.
- In the morning, grind the seeds to make a paste.
- Apply the paste on your scalp and massage it thoroughly.
- Leave it for about 45 minutes then wash it off with mild-shampoo.
- Do it 1-2 times a week.
Popular Post: Anti-aging oils that will do magic to your skin
Use Onion Juice to Deal with White Hairs
Onion juice is being used as white hair remedies since a very long time. It not only reverses the discoloration of hair, but also encourages the hair growth. The only thing that will bother you is its smell, it is hard to get rid of.
- 1 medium size onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Smash the onion and blend it with olive oil to make a uniform paste.
- Squeeze out the juice from the paste using cheesecloth.
- Massage your scalp with juice for about 10 minutes.
- Leave it like this for about 30 minutes then wash it off with mild shampoo.
- Do it twice a week.
Tips to Prevent White and Grey Hair
Focus on Vitamin B12 consumption
Deficiency of vitamin B12 has a lot to do with greying and whitening of your hair. The damage can be reversed if you just simply take vitamin B12 in adequate quantity.
Lack of vitamin B12 in your body can cause pernicious anaemia, and hair losing its pigment is the sign of this health condition. So, the bottom line is, take sufficient amount of vitamin B12 in your daily diet.
Is your thyroid level in check?
Thyroid gland is responsible for secreting hormones that are essential for most of the major functions of your body. Hypothyroidism causes premature whitening of hair.
Hypothyroidism is a serious health problem and may require hormone supplementation to deal with. By following certain diet routine, you can keep your thyroid level up to mark.
If you are a smoker, then question you should as yourself is “Why do you smoke?”. To look cool? To relive stress? Well the truth is, smoking neither makes you cool nor relive you from stress. On the contrary it increases the stress level. Study have shows that smoking does such harms to your body that you start getting signs of aging sooner than you should have.
Consumption of Antioxidants
Make sure you have food containing antioxidants in your table. Antioxidants are powerful counter for aging. They increase the collagen production in your body. It makes your hair dark, reduces wrinkles, and make your skin look younger.
List of foods that will maintain the pigmentation in your hair
- Berries – A rich source for vitamin C.
- Shell fish – Rich source of zinc that keep hair dark.
- Meat liver – Best solution for dealing with anemia and deficiency of iron.
- Carrot – Rich source of vitamin A.
- Curry leaves – Vital source for selenium, zinc, iron, iodine, and vitamin B.
- Spinach – Increases the production of melanin.
- Eggs – Great source vitamin B12.
- Beans – Protein rich food.
- Sunflower seeds – Antioxidants and minerals rich substance.
- Walnuts – Excellent source of copper.
Yes, you can turn your white hair back to black but it requires some time and patience. Also, as mentioned above, the treatment depends upon the cause. If you are losing your hair colour due some underlying medical condition, stress, improper diet, chemical exposure, etc. then it can be taken care vividly.
But if the cause of your hair whitening is a natural process of aging, genetic, etc. then there is very less that can be done. Although even in such condition the rate of discolouration of hair can be decreased.